Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Chapter 5 and 6. AQ

Robby Treadwell
1/30/13
Chapter 5 and 6
Period 4

Summary:  The men talk about what they would do if that war ended right at the moment. Kropp Tjaden, and Himmelstess all get in trouble for messing around with each other. Kat and Paul catch a ride to the house where the geese ones to get food. The men are staying in dugouts while taking bombardments of bombs. The men fight back when the bombing and shells firing come to a close end. 132 of the 150 men are still alive. 

Quotation: "So Tjaden has rigged up the lid of a boot-polish tin with a piece of wire over the lighted stump of a cnadle. The lice are simply thrown into this little pan. Crack! and they're done for." (75)

Quotation Significance: In this quote we are introduced into how brutal they're living conditions were. He filled up a whole can of boot polish with lice! That to me to read is disgusting and is hard to wrap my mind around.

Reflection: These two chapters were very long and tedious for me to read. I was getting side tracked while trying to read, and found my self rereading some of the pages. After reading these chapters I have come to realize that Pau, Kropp, and Himmelstess are some what more immature than others. I also found out that they will do almost anything to get food, like they did. They put their whole lives in danger going to try and kill the geese. They lost eighteen men already but I am wondering how many the opposing side lost. When I also read about how Tjaden has lice and the living conditions are brutal I came to realize that I am very grateful I didn't have to fight in that war!

Discussion Question: Why don't the men fire shells, and bombs back instead of playing defense most of the time? 

1 comment:

  1. 80/80
    Sorry about the length of this section. It struck me while I was reading it that Ralph and Jack in LOTF are going to have the same problem readjusting to life at home as Paul and Kropp will. They also have experienced "war" and have been forever changed.

    ReplyDelete