Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Chapter 3 and 4. AQ

Robby Treadwell
1/29/13
Chapter 3 and 4
Period 4

Summary: A new group of recruits shows up to cover for all the ones that were lost. Paul, Kropp, and Tjaden get revenge on Himmolstess for making all the sleep together with bed-wetters. The men are sent out to lay barbed wire down at the front hearing shots fired. The crew is bombarded while waiting for the trucks to pick them up. On the way home in the trucks, bombs explode  surrounding the trucks. One of the new recruits dies at the end. 

Quotation: " An explosion sounds somewhere. We wince, our eyes become tense, our hands are ready to vault over the side of the lorry into the ditch by the road." (74)

Quotation Significance: In this quote it tells a lot about how they are never not in harms way. They are always ready for the next bombardment or attack. That would be way too scary for me.

Reflection: The first chapter was confusing for me to read. I was confused on what was going on between Himmolstess and what he was doing to the other guys. Then when I went to read it on Sparknotes, I found that he forced the two bed-wetters to sleep together leaving their beds drenched in urine. I knew it was going to be bad when I found out that the men had to go lay out barb wire because you could just infer that they were going to get attacked. I was surprised most of them actually made it out with seeing only one severely wounded. I thought it was cool to read that most of the people when they duck to reload or something they are actually dodging shells flying over their heads unconsciously knowing that they almost just took one to the dome. 

Discussion Question: Do they make it back home safe?

No comments:

Post a Comment