Monday, February 4, 2013

AQ. Chapter 8

Robby Treadwell
2/4/13
Period 2
Chapter 8

Summary: Paul returns to training camps and sees the prison, with russian captured soldiers in there. He doesn't see how they could be in there because they are too nice. Paul's father and sister visit him giving him jam and cakes from his mother while she is in the hospital getting treatment. 

Quotation: "So I go out to give them to the Russians. Then it occurs to me that my mother cooked them herself and that she was probably in pain as she stood before the hot stove. I put the bag back in my pack and only take two cakes to the Russians." (198)

Quotation Significance: In this quote we find out that Paul is a very caring and generous guy. This could be the last thing he gets from his mom and he still gives some away to the enemy no less! Hopefully Paul's mom can recover from cancer.

Reflection: This must have been a hard time for Paul, leaving his mother and then returning to training camp. I don't know what I would do if when the last time I saw my mom she was dying of cancer and then I would have to go fight in a war. I think I would probably try and kill as many enemies and wreck havoc in the war for my mom. I thought it was nice how Paul's father and sister visit him and give him the jams and cakes from his mother. I can't believe Paul actually even considered giving away the cakes his mother made for him. Those might be the last things he ever gets from his mother. I think Paul is going to try and find a way to help the russians escape. 

Discussion Question: Does Paul try and find away to let the Russians free?

No comments:

Post a Comment