Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Chapter 12. LOTF

Robby Treadwell
1/22/13
Period 4
Chapter 12

Summary: Ralph hides in the jungle from jack's tribe, but comes to find from Sam and Eric that Ralph is coming in full gear to kill him the next day. Jack sets the forest ablaze trying to smoke Ralph out. Ralph runs to the beach to see a naval officer there standing, because he his ship saw smoke on the island. 

Quotation: "Dumbly, Ralph shook his head. He turned a half pace on the sand. A semicircle of little boys, their bodies streaked with colored clay, sharp sticks in their hands, were standing on the beach making no noise at all." (200)

Quotation Significance: This chapter is significant to me because at the beginning of this book we see a group of boys were together to survive but now they turn into this. Now they are fighting against each other for life or death. I knew this was going to happen between a bunch of immature young kids. 

Reflection: If I have never read this book before I would be very surprised by this ending as I was when I first read this book. I could infer that the boys could thank Jack for getting saved though because he did set the forest on fire which definitely put up a big amount of smoke in the air. I remember reading at the beginning of this book about one of the boys dads being a navy officer and I thought it was Ralph's which is why I ask is it his dad? The book ends with a lot of questions in your head and I kind of like that sort of ending. It is interesting to read about how nature and being alone without parents has the boys change throughout the book. 

Discussion Question: Is the naval officer Ralph's dad?

No comments:

Post a Comment