Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Much Ado About Nothing Act 5 Scene 3&4

Robby Treadwell
9/19/12
Act 5 Scene 3&4
Period 4

Summary: In the first scene Claudio and Don John go to Hero's tomb and say their last words and Claudio hangs up a scroll. In the last scene everyone assembles and Claudio asks Hero to marry him and she says yes and Benedick asks Beatrice to marry her and she says yes. At the end Don John is caught running away.

Quotation: Benedick- "I’ll tell thee what, Prince: a college of wit-crackers cannot
flout me out of my humor. Dost thou think I care for a satire
or an epigram? No. If a man will be beaten with brains, he
shall wear nothing handsome about him. In brief, since I do
purpose to marry, I will think nothing to any purpose that
the world can say against it, and therefore never flout at me
for what I have said against it. For man is a giddy thing, and
this is my conclusion.—For thy part, Claudio, I did think to
have beaten thee, but in that thou art like to be my kinsman,
live unbruised, and love my cousin."

Quotation Significance: In this quote it shows how much Benedick has changed throughout the story. At first he saw marriage as a horrible thing and said he would never get married. Now, he is a married man that is in love. This shows it is a coming of age play. 

Reflection: I was very happy with the ending of this play. All the way up to this point Othello and Much Ado About Nothing are very similar plays, but at the end of this one Shakespeare puts a whole different ending. I like how Claudio can't see Hero when he says he will marry her. This just shows how much he really cares for her and wants to be with her. It is also very funny how Benedick asks Beatrice if she loves him and vis versa and they say no, because they found out the tricks that were played on them. Benedick could be classified as a hypocrite for saying how he will never get married and then he does at the end of the pay, but really he just matures and realizes it will only do him good.

Discussion Question: What will happen to Don John?

1 comment:

  1. 60/60
    Great job, Robert! I like your reflections and discussion questions!

    ReplyDelete