Monday, September 24, 2012

Jane Eyre Chapter 1-3

Robby Treadwell
9/24/12
Chapter 1-3
4th Period

Summary: The story starts out in November in a town called Gateshead. Jane is reading a book and then her and her cousin get in a fight and Jane gets in trouble and is put in the "red room" which where Uncle Reed died. The Reed family is pretty wealthy. Jane's parents died from typhus and when she is in the room she thinks that Uncle Reed's ghost is in there and he is trying to get revenge and Jane faints from fear. When she woke up she was in her bed and Mr. Lloyd was taking care of her.  

Quotation: "What a consternation of soul was mine that dreary afternoon! How all my brain was in tumult, and all my hear in insurrection! Yet in what darkness, what dense ignorance, was the mental battle fought! I could not answer the ceaseless inward question--why I thus suffered; now, at the distance of--I will not say how many years--I see it clearly." Pg 10

Quotation Significance: In this quote Jane is talking about how bad her day has gone and how she has fought off this horrible battle. Poor Jane is thrown under the boat for fighting back because she got a book thrown at her and she has had enough. Jane asks herself why me?

Reflection: These four three chapters were fairly difficult for me to read. The way it is written is quite hard for me to understand but I tried to pick out the key parts. Many parts to me in these three chapters were just parts that weren't necessary for understanding the book and had no value to them what so ever. Such as when Jane was talking about the book and the pictures each page described. I feel bad for Jane already in this book. I do not know how it would feel to be put in a room that my uncle died in but I know it would be scary and when you scream and no one listens to you that would make it even more scary to me. Jane is the one that the family targets it seems like. She got blamed for getting a book thrown at her and they said it was her fault. From what it seems Jane is going to have a rough time throughout this book at home and in school.

Discussion Question: Why is Jane targeted in the family and why does everyone treat her so poorly? 

No comments:

Post a Comment