Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Jane Eyre Chapter 4-6


Robby Treadwell
9/25/12
Chapter 4-6
Period 4

Summary: In the beginning Jane meets the principle of the school Mr. Brocklehurst and Jane's aunt tells him that she lies a lot and doesn't believe in the psalms. Jane has her first day of school and meets a mean teacher named Miss Scatcherd, makes a new friend named Helen and finds out that the school is a charity school made for female orphans. In the last chapter the girls can't wash their clothes cause the water is frozen and Jane talks to Helen more and become closer friends.

Quotation: “I am glad you are no relation of mine. I will never call you aunt again as long as I live. I will never come to visit you when I am grown up; and if any one asks me how I liked you, and how you treated me, I will say the very thought of you makes me sick. . . .”

Quotation Significance: In this quote you can tell that Jane is very mad at her aunt for what she told the principle that she tends to lie a lot. This just sets Jane up in a bad situation already with her teachers. It is unfair that Jane is treated this way.

Reflection: These chapters are a big stepping stone for Jane. She meets a new friend that she can talk to and another person that is on her side. I think that this will put Jane in a much better mood. It is sad when Jane finds out that it is a charity home for female orphans because that means that the people that put Jane there didn't cost them anything. I think that Miss Scatcherd is going to become another person that is mean to Jane and Jane is going to rebel against her and things are going to get ugly from there. Lastly, when Aunt Reed tells Mr. Brocklehurst that Jane lies a lot that just throws JAne under the bus right away and she does not deserve that. 

Discussion Question: How is Jane going to get along with other girls at the school besides Helen?

No comments:

Post a Comment