Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Act 2 Scene 3 Act 3 Scene 1

Robby Treadwell
9/11/12
DePalatis 4th 
Act 2 Scene 3 Act 3 Scene 1

Summary: In the first scene Claudio, Don Pedro, and Leonato play a trick on Benedick while he is hiding from them. They talk about how madly in love Beatrice is with him and they know he is hiding and that he is hearing this. Benedick actually believes them as well. In the second scene almost the exact same thing happens but this time it is Hero and Ursula that try and make Beatrice fall in love with Benedick.

Quotation: Benedick- "This can be no trick. The conference was
sadly borne; they have the truth of this from Hero; they
seem to pity the lady. It seems her affections have their full
bent. Love me? Why, it must be requited! I hear how I am
censured. They sy I will bear myself proudly if I perceive
the love come from her. They say, too, that she will rather
die than give any sign of affection. I did never think to
marry. I must not seem proud. Happy are they that hear
their detractions and can put them to mending. They say
the lady is fair; ’tis a truth, I can bear them witness. And
virtuous; ’tis so, I cannot reprove it. ..."

Quotation Significance: In this quote Benedick shows that he actually believes Claudio, Don Pedro, and Leonato. He has bough into their trick and thinks that Beatrice is madly in love with him. 

Reflection: These two scenes show very much evilness. The way they trick Beatrice and Benedick is very clever but also very rude. They plan their evil ways almost perfectly. Now, Benedick is going to start being nice to Beatrice and Beatrice isn't going to know why and vis versa. Beatrice is going to fall in love with Benedick because she thinks that he loves her as well. The way Benedick hides like Othello, and how Claudio and Don Pedro talk, much like Iago and Roderigo are very similar. This book is starting to look more like Othello more and more as I keep reading. 

Discussion Question: Is Benedick going to fall in love or is he going to stick to his plan of never falling in love with a girl unless she is perfect?




No comments:

Post a Comment