Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Much Ado About Nothing Act 5 Scene 1&2

Robby Treadwell
9/18/12
Act 5 Scene 1&2
Period 4

Summary: In the first scene Leonato and Antonia, say they will duel Claudio and Don John for killing someone that they love. At the end Dogberry and the watchmen bring Borachio and Conrade, and Borachio confesses that he made up the lies about Hero cheating on Claudio. In the last scene Benedick and Beatrice talk about their love and Ursula comes in and tells them that Hero is innocent and it is all Don John's fault.

Quotation: Borachio-
"Sweet Prince, let me go no farther to mine answer. Do you
hear me, and let this count kill me. I have deceived even your
very eyes. What your wisdoms could not discover, these
shallow fools have brought to light, who in the night
overheard me confessing to this man how Don John your
brother incensed me to slander the Lady Hero, how you
were brought into the orchard and saw me court Margaret in
Hero’s garments, how you disgraced her when you should
marry her. My villainy they have upon record, which I had
rather seal with my death than repeat over to my shame. The
lady is dead upon mine and my master’s false accusation.
And, briefly, I desire nothing but the reward of a villain."

Quotation Significance: In this quote Borachio confesses that he is guilty for the death of Hero. He says he doesn't want to wait for the trial he wants to die now because he made up the lies about seeing Hero cheat on Claudio.

Reflection: This scene is one of the few that are different from Othello. Although it is different the foundation of the scene is similar. In Othello Desdemona is killed before she is proven innocent and in Much Ado About Nothing they decide to keep Hero alive and not tell anyone so if she is innocent she can live the rest of her life. I think the Shakespeare is trying to prove in this one that men are not alway right and that women should get to have a say for what they are being accused for. I also like that Leonato and Antonio are being so protective of Hero even though they know she is dead which she really is not. They are willing to fight Claudio and Don John. This shows the character they have and they love her daughter and niece.

Discussion Question: What is Shakespeare trying to get across by making two almost identical plays but with different ways of trying to solve problems?

No comments:

Post a Comment