Thursday, March 21, 2013

A Separate Peace. Chapter1-2.

Robby Treadwell
3/21/13
1-2
Period 4

Summary: Gene Forrester returns to Devon school after he graduated years ago. He has a flashback of jumping off that tree with his friends into the river. Gene and Finny were good friends and when they go to jump off the tree Finny saves Gene's life when he loses his balance.

Quotation:" The tree was not only stripped by the cold season, it seemed weary from age, enfeebled and dry. I was thankful, very thankful that I had seen it." (14)

Quotation Significance: I chose this quote because I think that the tree is resembling something or it later is going to resemble something. I also chose this because the way this quote is written is very fluent and I like the way it sounds. 

Reflection: So far this book is somewhat interesting for me to read. I liked to read about how Gene goes back to his school and has such good memory of what happened while he was there. I can relate to this because some of the stuff that he does sounds like some of the stupid stuff that I would do. I thought it was funny to read about Suicide group of summer or whatever they called it, but I feel like they are going to do something beyond stupid and hurt themselves. I am wondering if this book is going to stay reciting the memories of their past or it is going to stay in the present.

Discussion Question: Is the book going to stay referring to the past? Or is it going to go back to the present?

1 comment:

  1. 60/60
    One thought that struck me as we switched from Night to A Separate Peace is how the experience of one person on one side of the world can be one of complete horror and despair like Elie while, at the same time, in another place on the earth, people are playing blitzball and are oblivious to what is happening in the other place. As we live in peaceful Carmel, there are horrific things happening in North Korea or China or Uganda, so we should recognize this and both be thankful for what we have as well as realize we may have an opportunity to help someone who is in a more difficult situation.

    ReplyDelete