Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Tale of Two Cities Chapter 5-6

Robby Treadwell
10/30/12
Chapter 5/6
Period 4

Summary: In the beginning a wine cart spilled and all of the people in the town drank every drop of wine off of the ground. We meet Madam Defarge who is the wine shop owner's wife. Three men from the bar, Madam Defarge, Miss Manette, and Mr Lorry all go up a giant stairway in the wine shop. Inside the attic was a man with white hair making shoes. They find out that the shoemaker is Miss Manette's father. They know this because he has her matching hair.

Quotation: “O, sir, at another time you shall know my name, and who my mother was, and who my father, and how I never knew their hard, hard history. But I cannot tell you at this time, and I cannot tell you here. All that I may tell you, here and now, is, that I pray to you to touch me and to bless me. Kiss me, kiss me! O my dear, my dear!”

Quotation Significance: This quote just shows how much Miss Manette cares. She is so happy to see him and doesn't find it important to share names just to express love for each other.

Reflection: The first chapter was pretty confusing for me to read but when it came to the second chapter it was very exciting. It was exciting to read that Miss Manette found her father that she thought has been dead for all of this time. It was hard to read the section when the shoemaker is talking about her hair and how he has two pieces of it. In the beginning it shows how desperate people were at this time. It talks about people using all different ways to pick up the wine and drink it. People would do anything at that time for some things.

Discussion Question: How did they know to go up that staircase and look for him?

No comments:

Post a Comment