Monday, October 29, 2012

Tale of Two Cities Chapter 1-4

Robby Treadwell
10/29/12
Chapter 1-4
Period 4

Summary: While the Dover coach is headed up a very muddy hill that takes them a long time, a mail man named Jerry approaches them and delivers a letter to Mr. Lorry. The letter said wait at dover for mademoiselle. When Mr. Lorry got to Dover he was treated very nicely and highly. Mr. Lorry met the mademoiselle Miss Manette. They talk about the inheritance of her dad, but she soon finds out that he is still alive.

Quotation:
“Miss Manette, it WAS I. And you will see how truly I spoke of myself just now, in saying I had no feelings, and that all the relations I hold with my fellow-creatures are mere business relations, when you reflect that I have never seen you since. No; you have been the ward of Tellson’s House since, and I have been busy with the other business of Tellson’s House since. Feelings! I have no time for them, no chance of them. I pass my whole life, miss, in turning an immense pecuniary Mangle.”

Quotation Significance: In this quote Mr. Lorry is talking about how serious his job is. He says he has no time for feelings and all of his time is devoted to his job.

Reflection: It is hard to tell what this book is going to be about because the first chapters are kind of weird. We start off with a description then, a letter, then weird dreams about ghosts, and lastly we find out about someone that is really alive but was thought to be dead for a long time. It is interesting to think about what Miss Manette is going to do now that she knows her father is still alive. This book seems quite strange and is going to be a hard read, but I think once we get into the deep plot it will be a fun read.

Discussion Question: What is Miss Manette going to do next now that she knows her dad is alive?

No comments:

Post a Comment