Monday, October 22, 2012

Jane Eyre Chapter 31&32

Robby Treadwell
Chapter 31/32
10/22/12
Period 4 

Summary: Rosamond Oliver gives Jane a cottage to live in, and Jane starts teaching. She finds out that she does not like teaching there, and Rosamond and St. John are in love. In the last chapter St. John admits that he loves Rosamond and that he ought to marry her. At the end St. John tears something off of Jane's paper and quickly runs away.

Quotation: "My cottage is clean and weather-proof; my furniture sufficient and commodious. All I see has made me thankful, not despondent. I am not absolutely such a fool and sensualist as to regret the absence of a carpet, a sofa, and a silver plate; besides, five weeks ago I had nothing --- I was an outcast, a beggar, a vagrant: now I have acquaintance , a home, a business." Pg. 384-385 -Jane

Quotation Significance: This quote shows a lot about Jane. She shows much optimism in this quote by not talking about everything that is going bad for her, but all the good things going for her. This shows how much Jane has changed.

Reflection: These chapters are kind of slow. Not too much happens but Jane talks about living in Morton. At first Jane is not happy with teaching in Morton, but as the students become more familiar with her, Jane enjoys it more. I find it interesting to read about St. John and Rosamond because their connections are quite awkward. I do also like the way Charlotte Bronte leaves the last chapter by keeping the reader interested. She makes you want to keep reading when she talks about St. John quickly running away from the scene. Jane could very easily be sad and upset about things but she chooses to look at the better things that are working for her which aren't much. 

Discussion Question: What is Rochester doing in Thornfield, and is he going to after Jane?

No comments:

Post a Comment